Senior Public Affairs Specialist
ElectriCities of NC
The mission of the Senior Public Affairs Specialist is to enhance and promote public power in North Carolina by providing strategic government and legislative services, advocacy and grassroots support.
The Senior Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for developing and maintaining positive relationships with the North Carolina General Assembly and the Governor’s Administration in order to further the goals and objectives of the North Carolina Municipal Power Agencies and ElectriCities. The Senior Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for obtaining beneficial outcomes on legislative issues and key topics of concern to ElectriCities’ members. The Senior Public Affairs Specialist is also responsible for implementing strategic grassroots efforts in coordination with the legislative goals.
- Cultivate relationships and maintain a presence with members of the NC General Assembly, staff, council of state, and other state officials/departments, officials of other state associated organizations in order to represent organizational interests.
- Develop and recommend legislative positions, policies, procedures, and plans for action on the state level for ElectriCities and the Power Agencies.
- During legislative sessions, write the “Capitol Connections” publication to inform ElectriCities members and our supporters of the legislative actions affecting their electrical systems.
- Develop strategies and implement action plans to achieve desired results such as halting negative legislation and encouraging passage of favorable legislation.
- Attend General Assembly sessions and committee meetings to monitor and influence the development of legislation affecting our members in order to promote and protect the legislative interest of ElectriCities and its members. Speak, debate, and lobby persuasively on both a planned and unplanned basis to promote and protect the legislative interests of ElectriCities and its members.
- Integrate strategic grassroots efforts with legislative goals.
- Become an active member of the NC Professional Lobbyists Association and attend the association’s political events.
- Research background information on bills affecting ElectriCities and its members.
- Responsible for ensuring Mayors of each member city are briefed on ElectriCities’ annual legislative plan.
- Develop and present information presentations to civic and community groups.
- Participate in member cities’ Chambers of Commerce and develop grassroots contacts with business leaders.
- Assist with the economic development and communication efforts of ElectriCities.
- Participate in annual meetings and workshops.
- Be an active participant on various internal organizational teams.
- Explain difficult or sensitive information and work to build consensus, often within the context of diverse stakeholders and working groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Senior Public Affairs Specialist must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Periodic travel within the state of North Carolina and within the U.S. may also be required for training and development purposes.
The Senior Public Affairs Specialist works under the general supervision and guidance of the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer, who reviews the employee’s work performance under ElectriCities guidelines in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional guidance as needed. Time sheets, vacation time, sick leave, etc., will be reviewed and approved by the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- A B.A. or B.S. degree, preferably in Public Administration, Political Science or a related field, with 3 to 7 years of state government lobbying experience.
- A thorough working knowledge of the legislative processes as well as a general business background.
- The ability to interact with all levels of management, legislators and key state and local officials with respect to decorum.
- The ability to think strategically, exercise good judgment and innovate.
- Detailed working knowledge of computer systems and database manipulation.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally, on all levels, as well as develop and maintain relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision but also in a team environment.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.